Since my Galaxy s completed its first year last Oct, I thought about trying update my phone my self to the latest GingerBird version rather than going to the Samsung service center.
I was able to do the upgrade in few steps, thanks to the blogs.
Since some of the online articles warned about a possible ‘Kies’ issue, which said I will not be able to connect through it after upgrade, I thought of alternate backup methods.
First of all I backed up my address book, to the SD Card, it can be easily done using the import / export option under your contacts menu. It will save all address, including multiple numbers and details as a single vcf file.
I think this way is much better than sync with Goolge account as it Google account does not support multiple numbers if you have any.
I downloaded all photos, to my local PC
For Angry birds, I used this utility Angry Birds Backup, so that I don’t need to play all levels again.
Next step was to download the new ROM and ODIN flash tool
( Password is samfirmware.com)
Then I followed the following steps ( Thanks to AndroidFlip.com)
- Switch off your phone.
- Launch the Odin flash tool in your PC.
- Put the handset ON in download mode by- Press and hold Volume down+ OK button and then press the Power button together.
- After your phone is switched in download mode then connect the phone to PC with the help of USB cable.
- You can also see a the ID:COM section filled with yellow, that’s the symbol to proceed further and the phone is suitably connected.
- Now select files in Odin , click on each tab and select files listed below (see image carefully)
PIT –– s1_odin_20100512.pit
PDA –– CODE_I9000XXJVT_CL617736_REV03_user_low_ship.tar.md5,
Phone –– MODEM_I9000XXJVT_REV_00_CL1064602.tar.md5,
CSC –– GT-I9000-CSC-MULTI-OXAJVT.tar.md5
- After that Click on the “Start” button in Odin. This will starts the installation process of firmware.
- When the installation is finished the phone will reboot and ask you to enter the Google account and select language.
Once you finish you can import back the address book, back from SD card.
No 3G Connection?
After upgrade if your 3G didn’t work, you need to add APN setting manually, you can find this under
it can be found under Settings > Wireless > Mobile Networks >Access Points.
APN details for most of the operators around world can be found here
Kies after upgrade
I was able to connect the phone to Kies as normal even after upgrade
What I feel after upgrade
- Battery life has increased for about 3 hours , even on 3G network
- Much Faster than before.